::: SUMMERTIME GRILLING :::
Since I have posted a few desserts in a row, I thought I needed to share a dinner type item for you all to enjoy. Do not be afraid of the words VEGAN STEAK, when prepared properly, it’s quite tasty. But if you are a connoisseur of all things meaty, then please use some of your favorite in place of the vegan steak listed below.
These skewers are a nice change to the normal meat, mushrooms and peppers. Plus peaches are so amazing when grilled, it brings out something extra special in the flavor. I was not sure of the spiced pecans at first. I thought the flavors wouldn’t go well with the peaches, but to my surprise they brought this dish to a whole new level.
With peaches coming to their peak season right now, you will definitely want to try these out the next time you are grilling. The grilled peaches work so well with the sweet potato, making a sweet harmonious taste sensation in your mouth! If you are a nectarine fan, I am sure this will work great with those too.
Note: I thought for sure I had a photo of these, but sometimes my family is ready to eat and everything gets gobbled up before I can get photos of it. I will keep looking for one, or make them again this weekend so I can post some pics of these scrumptious little sticks of heaven.
Vegan Glazed Steak, Peach, and Sweet Potato Skewers
::: Ingredients :::
- 1-2 packages of veggie steak
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/2 cup sherry or rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey or agave
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 fresh peaches
- 1 purple onion
- about 10 mini sweet peppers
- 1/2 cup pecans (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
::: Instructions :::
- Prep Work: soak the skewers in water while you prepare the items below
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes into about 1 inch cubes or slices (pieces should be big enough so they don’t fall off the skewers)
- Prepare your meat, cut into 1 inch bites sized pieces.
- Peel peaches and pit them, then cut into about 1 inch chunks.
- Heat grill to medium.
- Remove outer skin of onion, then quarter and then pull apart the layers
- Place sweet potatoes in a covered bowl with a couple of tablespoons of water and microwave 3-5 minutes, until slightly soft (not completely fork-tender). Or if you have a Lekue steamer this is a great place to use it. You want the potatoes soft enough to skewer, but not so soft they will fall right off.
- Put the vinegar, 1/3 cup honey or agave, and 1 Tbsp olive oil in a small pan over medium heat.
- Simmer until thickened and reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Thread the pieces of red onion, chicken, sweet potato, and peach onto the skewers.
- Reserve half the glaze. Brush the skewers with the remaining half of the glaze.
- Grill skewers about 5 minutes on each side.
- Toss the pecans in a small bowl with the remaining honey or agave, oil, cumin, pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- Place piece of foil on the grill and scatter the nuts on the foil, cooking 3 to 5 minutes (they can burn quickly so don’t forget to set the grill timer!)
- Plate the skewers, and drizzle the extra glaze that was set aside then sprinkle with the toasted pecans. Enjoy!