This is a wonderful and easy appetizer to make, especially when you can get a good deal on some red pears. All the flavors work so well together and compliment each other. The creamy cheese with the sweet pears, the toasted smokey bread and the pears make this a mouth watering dish that is so delicious I actually eat for dinner alone. Be prepared to impress your guests with this stunning taste sensation!
The first time I ever had this I was at some Italian restaurant many years ago and it was with made with the marscapone. It was heavenly. The ingredients so simple, I knew it would be easy to recreate at home. The first time I made it, I bought cambozola cheese for some reason and I loved it even more. Cambozola has a stronger taste and is still creamy and spreadable, but it’s not quite as pungent and blue cheese. Sometimes I have trouble finding one or the other, so I use which ever was available.
If you are lucky enough to have a Trader Joe’s in your area, they carry a balsamic glaze that is out of this world. Even though I love to make as much from scratch as possible, I do love the convenience of not having to whip up some balsamic reduction just for a snack.
For a dinner I make 2-3 larger pieces per person. For an appetizer or afternoon snack, I make 1-2 small-medium sized pieces.
::: Pear Bruschetta :::
Makes enough for 2-6 people
- 1-2 ripe red pears
- cambozola or marscapone cheese
- 1 loaf of rustic, sourdough, or french bread or baguette
- balsamic glaze
- 6-12 fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- drizzle olive oil (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Slice bread loaf into about 1/2 inch slices and spread out on baking sheet
- Bake slices for about 10-15 minutes, or until toasted to your liking
- Wash and dry the pears, then slice into no more than 1/4 in thick
- Chop about 1/4 cup pecans and set aside
- Once the bread is done, let cool for about 5 minutes
- Spread a thin layer of cheese on each toast
- Place 2-3 spinach leaves on top of the cheese
- Drizzle a little honey over the spinach
- Place 3-5 slices of pears on top of the spinach
- Drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic glaze on top of the pears
- Sprinkle with the chopped pecans